logo | Car Reviews, News and Features

Quick car review finder - select below

4,819 Irish motoring queries answered to date.

On there is no such thing as a silly question. No matter how small or complicated an issue seems, we'll help. Our experts will quickly answer your queries in a friendly and jargon-free manner. What are you waiting for? Ask us Anything!

Please remember that we offer advice, not gospel. We cannot be held responsible for recalls, a second hand car's history, acts of God, changes in car pricing or Government policy. We are here to help and offer independent, impartial and free advice. What you do with it is entirely up to you!

By submitting a question you are agreeing to this statement. Thank you.

Ask Us Anything

The process for submitting questions has temporarily been restricted to registered users.

To register, go to the registration form. aims to be completely compliant with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), implemented on 25 May, 2018. At no stage shall we contact you without your express permission (by entering your email address, you are consenting for us to send you emails relating directly to your question). Your data will never be shared with a third party and it is kept in a secure database on our servers, with limited personnel access. You have the right to have your data deleted at any time and also to get a copy of your data on file. For any related queries, please send us a message using the form on the Who we are page.

Can I import a Land Cruiser as commercial?

Hi there,

Wondering if you can clarify something for me about importing a Toyota Land Cruiser from the UK for commercial use in Ireland. Does the vehicle need to have been commercially registered in the UK, which I think is N1, before it can be imported and taxed as commercial in Ireland? I've tried searching for commercial vehicles in the UK but there are only a handful of vehicles listed whereas there are thousands of the same model vehicle (Toyota Land Cruiser) listed as having been privately registered.

Many thanks in advance


Filed under commercial vehicle - Asked by Ken O'Sullivan (Lahinch) - Thu, 11 Jun 2020 12:27

Looking for a three-seat LR Defender...

I am looking to buy a three-seat Land Rover Defender. I work abroad for a foreign company so I'm wondering if I would be able to apply for Commercial Road Tax?

Filed under commercial vehicle - Asked by John Keogh (Cork) - Sat, 20 Jun 2020 20:22

Can landlords use commercial vehicles?

Does a landlord qualify for buying a commercial vehicle?

Filed under commercial vehicle - Asked by Mark Moran (Dublin) - Sun, 31 Mar 2019 09:29

Can I change a van to private motor tax?


I am buying a small 1.3-litre van that has been commercial taxed; can I change this to private tax?



Filed under commercial vehicle - Asked by Alan Nolan (Waterford ) - Mon, 11 Nov 2019 06:53

Can a teacher buy a pick-up for private use?

I am a teacher and I do some part-time gardening during the summer. I am looking to buy an old pick-up to assist with this. Is it possible for me to do this?

Filed under commercial vehicle - Asked by Robert Thompson - Thu, 09 Apr 2020 00:04

Can I tax an SUV private, but insure it as LCV?

Is it possible to tax an SUV privately, whilst insured commercially? To use privately with kids etc outside of work hours?

Filed under commercial vehicle - Asked by Alan O Brien (Dublin) - Mon, 06 Jan 2020 18:44

I want to use a Mitsubishi L200 privately...

Wanting to buy a Mitsubishi L200 for private use.

1: Do I have to insure it commercially or private?

2: Can I tax it privately or does it have to be taxed commercialy (needing proof of business etc)?

Filed under commercial vehicle - Asked by Michael Jones (Co. Dublin ) - Tue, 07 Jan 2020 10:07

How to change LCV Kuga back to private use?

What is involved in changing a crew cab Kuga back to a privately taxed vehicle? What do you need to do to enable a private insurance policy to apply?


Filed under commercial vehicle - Asked by Ken Finn (Laois) - Tue, 07 Jan 2020 12:03

VAT or VRT on N1 to M1 conversion?

I want to purchase a commercial SUV, but I will have to convert the vehicle from an N1 to an M1 category as it will be insured and taxed privately. Am I liable for any VAT or VRT?

Filed under commercial vehicle - Asked by Paul Devine (Maynooth) - Tue, 07 Jan 2020 13:52

BIK on a Volkswagen Amarok?

BIK rates for VW Amorak?

Filed under commercial vehicle - Asked by CJ Murphy (Wexford) - Mon, 13 Jan 2020 12:41

Back to Question list