logo | Car Reviews, News and Features

Quick car review finder - select below

4,868 Irish motoring queries answered to date.

On there is no such thing as a silly question. No matter how small or complicated an issue seems, we'll help. Our experts will quickly answer your queries in a friendly and jargon-free manner. What are you waiting for? Ask us Anything!

Please remember that we offer advice, not gospel. We cannot be held responsible for recalls, a second hand car's history, acts of God, changes in car pricing or Government policy. We are here to help and offer independent, impartial and free advice. What you do with it is entirely up to you!

By submitting a question you are agreeing to this statement. Thank you.

Ask Us Anything

The process for submitting questions has temporarily been restricted to registered users.

To register, go to the registration form. aims to be completely compliant with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), implemented on 25 May, 2018. At no stage shall we contact you without your express permission (by entering your email address, you are consenting for us to send you emails relating directly to your question). Your data will never be shared with a third party and it is kept in a secure database on our servers, with limited personnel access. You have the right to have your data deleted at any time and also to get a copy of your data on file. For any related queries, please send us a message using the form on the Who we are page.

Any extra tax costs to convert to a crew cab?

If I wanted to convert a Ford Custom commerical van to a crew cab for private use, will I have to pay on top of the conversion cost and tax off the engine?


Filed under commercial vehicle - Asked by Joe Murphy - Wed, 28 Oct 2020 11:19

Are commercial vehicle rules being broken here?


I have a commercial vehicle, a Land Rover Discovery Commercial; I have it both taxed and insured in the name of a limited company. All sounds good to me. I have a friend who started up a new limited company and transferred his Toyota Land Cruiser Commercial into the company. He has not changed the tax or insurance and both are in his own name. So in effect the Toyota is in the company from an accounts view but in reality it is still owned and insured by the individual. Is this legal and how are you from an insurance point of view?

A second question is in relation to the commercial SUVs, I know of an individual that has the SUV in the company and taxed as commercial in the company for €333, but the insurance has remained private. Is this correct?


Richard in Waterford

Filed under commercial vehicle - Asked by Richard Tobin (Waterford) - Thu, 21 May 2020 11:08

Can I tax my Ford Connect privately?

Can I tax my Ford Connect privately? It's the 1.5.

Filed under commercial vehicle - Asked by Ann Rhatigan (Glenconnor) - Thu, 17 Sep 2020 14:52

Can I privately tax and insure this Transit?

Taxing a five-seat M-Sport Transit for private use. What will it cost and will insurers cover it?

Filed under commercial vehicle - Asked by Paul Barrett (Kerry ) - Tue, 22 Sep 2020 22:37

Thinking of importing a pick-up...


I'm looking to buy a 2016 Mitsubishi L200 2.4 Barbarian in the North. I'm an electrician working for one person so it's just both of us. I haven't asked him yet but is it possible that if I buy it could I use his VAT number to reclaim the VAT paid? Also when I do bring it through, will I be able to put it down for commercial tax without being registered for VAT myself? I have only had standard car insurance previously, no van.

Filed under commercial vehicle - Asked by Alan Hodgers (Castlebellingham) - Tue, 25 Aug 2020 15:28

I want to buy a van for personal use...

I want to buy a 2.0-litre van (commercial), but I'm not able to pay €333. And I don't want this. Two questions:

1 - Will I pay €710 (private car standard) no matter which year the vanwas made?

2 - Can I change, if I buy, to NCT test centre from CVRT, even if the car is a van? Are there some procedures/forms for this or what?

Thank you!

Filed under commercial vehicle - Asked by Gelu Rusu (Malin Head) - Mon, 24 Aug 2020 19:46

Can I, as a private driver, buy a crew cab?

Recently returned home from Australia, looking at buying second hand Land Rover Discovery or Range Rover. I’m confused with the commercial crew cab idea. If I buy a crew cab as a private driver, no small business or VAT number, can I drive it and get it taxed commercially or am I going to make trouble for myself?



Filed under commercial vehicle - Asked by Paul Lynch (Nenagh) - Wed, 02 Sep 2020 20:12

Can I convert a Hilux to private use?

Is it possible to convert a commercial vehicle, category N1,  to a private vehicle category M1? Example: Toyota Hilux - if this has a vehicle category of commercial listed on the logbook then you need a category C driving licence, but if this can be registered as a private car and have private listed on the logbook then it can be driven on a category B driving licence.

Filed under commercial vehicle - Asked by Roger Gammon (Galway) - Wed, 12 Aug 2020 18:41

Tax costs to convert a Transporter?


I want to add three seats to a VW Transporter. So convert it to a six-seat vehicle instead of a three-seat vehicle. Any ideas what costs would be involved in this, other than the actual cost of conversion? I.e. changing seat number on logbook etc?

Filed under commercial vehicle - Asked by Eoin Byrne (Tinahely ) - Thu, 06 Aug 2020 15:36

Can I tax and insure a Caddy van privately?

Hi, help needed: I bought a Caddy van for carrying the dog and bicycles. Could not get private insurance so had to get commercial instead. My problem is I cannot tax it as a commercial vehicle as I have no VAT number. Question: can I tax it as a private vehicle at €514?



Filed under commercial vehicle - Asked by Adrian Culligan (Fermoy) - Sun, 19 Jul 2020 18:53

Back to Question list