Ask Us Anything

Cost to use a Transit Connect privately?

I am currently office based for work with the requirement to visit building sites from time to time. I am considering buying a Ford Transit Connect van, 1.5-litre that is more practical than my current car for visiting sites. I would therefore need the van for work and private purposes as I cannot afford to have a seperate car for private use only. What type of tax and insurance by law do I need for this scenario (private/commercial) and what would be the approx cost of same?


Ronan Toft (Kilcullen)

Mar 2021 Filed under: commercial vehicle

Expert answer

Hi Ronan,

You will have to tax the van as a private car if you’re going to use it for social, domestic or pleasure purposes. That’s relatively easy to do — you just need to ring up you local motor tax office and ask them to make the switch for you. Annual motor tax will cost you €413 a year for the 1.5-litre engine (taxing a commercial as a private car means you go back to the old engine capacity based system).

Insurance is the trickier aspect, and we’ve heard from a lot of readers that they struggle to find cover for commercials as private vehicles. We always advise to try and track down a good, reputable, broker and get cover sorted before you make any decisions.

Take a read of Buying a commercial vehicle for private use for more information.

Neil Briscoe - Complete Car Advisor

Read all questions...