logo | Car Reviews, News and Features

Quick car review finder - select below

Ask Us Anything

Please ask your question in the box below. We will answer it as soon as possible.

Please note that we may edit the text of your question and that, if you provide your name and town, these will appear with your question. No other personal or contact information will be displayed or made public.

Top Categories

What do I do with a commercial Discovery?

I'm getting a Land Rover Discovery 4 very soon and it's registered as a commercial vehicle. I don't have the usual things to prove I'm using it as a work vehicle. What can I do or if not how do I go about declaring it private?

Filed under commercial vehicle - Asked by Charlie O Donnell (Athy) - Sun, 27 Feb 2022 07:38

Neil Briscoe Answered by: Neil Briscoe - Complete Car Advisor - @neilmbriscoe


Hi Charlie,

What you need to register and tax a vehicle as a commercial are:

1. Current commercial insurance certificate for the vehicle

2. Evidence of registration for VAT

3. Tax Clearance Certificate

4.. Notice of Tax Registration Form.

If you don’t have all or any of those then you’ll have to register it as a private vehicle. That’s actually easy enough — you just ring up your local motor tax office and tell them what you want to do, and all of the listings are on the motor tax website — but it does mean that you’ll be paying tax on the engine capacity, which, with a 3.0-litre Discovery, is going to be pretty chunky. Equally, insurance can be tricky for commericals-as-private cars, so get hold of a good, reliable broker to get you some quotes.

For more on this, we recommend our sibling site,

0 responses

Already a member?

If you are already registered, you can log in to send your question. Otherwise, please complete the following. Only your name is mandatory, but if you enter your email address, you will be notified when your question has been answered by our experts.