logo | Car Reviews, News and Features

Quick car review finder - select below

Ask Us Anything

Please ask your question in the box below. We will answer it as soon as possible.

Please note that we may edit the text of your question and that, if you provide your name and town, these will appear with your question. No other personal or contact information will be displayed or made public.

Top Categories

How to make my commercial Kuga private?


I have a 191 Ford Kuga Utility four-seat commercial that I'm looking in the near future to use privately. Is this as simple as insuring and taxing it as a private vehicle or are there any other steps, i.e re-registering it as a private vehicle?

Thanks in advance for your help

Filed under commercial vehicle - Asked by Stuart Coonerny - Mon, 08 Mar 2021 17:16

Neil Briscoe Answered by: Neil Briscoe - Complete Car Advisor - @neilmbriscoe


Hi Stuart,

No, you don’t need to re-register it, you simply need to call up your local motor tax office and tell them that you want to tax it as a private car. They’ll then put you on the old by-engine-capacity tax system, and the job’s done. The tricky part is insurance — we’ve been hearing that many people are struggling to find insurers who’ll cover a commercial as a private car, so have a good, careful shop around for cover first.

0 responses

Already a member?

If you are already registered, you can log in to send your question. Otherwise, please complete the following. Only your name is mandatory, but if you enter your email address, you will be notified when your question has been answered by our experts.