logo | Car Reviews, News and Features

Quick car review finder - select below

Ask Us Anything

Please ask your question in the box below. We will answer it as soon as possible.

Please note that we may edit the text of your question and that, if you provide your name and town, these will appear with your question. No other personal or contact information will be displayed or made public.

Top Categories

How to change tax status of a Land Rover?


I'm considering buying a secondhand Land Rover within Ireland that has been classed as commercial for tax purposes by the current owner. However, I'd like to use and tax it for private use, which I think can be done by paying the higher rate of tax after purchase. However, I'm a bit stumped as to how to do it! The Revenue forms to change the class of taxation say I should have insurance in order to request a change in the tax class. However I am unable to get insurance for a commercial vehicle in my name. It seems without the insurance I can't change the tax class but I am unable to get insurance based on the current tax class the car is registered in.

Seems a bit of a catch-22, can you help?


Filed under commercial vehicle - Asked by Sheila Hopkins (Lifford) - Sun, 06 Dec 2020 01:17

Neil Briscoe Answered by: Neil Briscoe - Complete Car Advisor - @neilmbriscoe


Hi Sheila,

Well, in theory the only thing you need to do to change the tax status of a car is to call your local motor tax office and tell them that’s what you want to do. As far as insurance is concerned, I think it would be a good idea to have a chat will a well-connected broker, who might be better placed to help you out. You might be able to find a policy that will allow you to insure the Land Rover as a private car even before it has been officially switched over, or possibly one that starts as a commercial policy but changes over once you’ve got the conversion. 

0 responses

Already a member?

If you are already registered, you can log in to send your question. Otherwise, please complete the following. Only your name is mandatory, but if you enter your email address, you will be notified when your question has been answered by our experts.