logo | Car Reviews, News and Features

Quick car review finder - select below

Ask Us Anything

Please ask your question in the box below. We will answer it as soon as possible.

Please note that we may edit the text of your question and that, if you provide your name and town, these will appear with your question. No other personal or contact information will be displayed or made public.

Top Categories

How to change a Range Rover Sport's status?

Hi guys,

I am looking to buy a 2013 Range Rover Sport, a 3.0-litre diesel that is currently designated as a business commercial vehicle with €333 tax. There are five seats and no VAT on the sale off the vehicle. Once purchased, I wish to tax it privately and also insure it privately as a passenger car. Can you outline this process and if it’s straightforward and possible?



Filed under commercial vehicle - Asked by Frank Mitchel (Dublin) - Sat, 06 Feb 2021 07:37

Neil Briscoe Answered by: Neil Briscoe - Complete Car Advisor - @neilmbriscoe


Hi Frank,

The process of taxing it is relatively straightforward — just ring up your local motor tax office (list here: and ask them to switch you over. The problem is twofold — with a 3.0-litre Range Rover Sport, you’re going to be paying the second-highest rate of motor tax (€1,494 per year) because a commercial re-registered for private use is taxed on the old engine capacity-based tax system. Insurance can also be a major issue — it shouldn’t be, but it is, so get hold of a good local broker to help you navigate those waters before you take the leap. 

Read Buying a commercial vehicle for private use for more information.

0 responses

Already a member?

If you are already registered, you can log in to send your question. Otherwise, please complete the following. Only your name is mandatory, but if you enter your email address, you will be notified when your question has been answered by our experts.