logo | Car Reviews, News and Features

Quick car review finder - select below

Ask Us Anything

Please ask your question in the box below. We will answer it as soon as possible.

Please note that we may edit the text of your question and that, if you provide your name and town, these will appear with your question. No other personal or contact information will be displayed or made public.

Top Categories

Can I insure and tax a van privately in Ireland?

Can I insure and tax a van privately in Ireland?

Filed under commercial vehicle - Asked by Ann Byrnes (Ireland) - Fri, 29 Jan 2021 19:21

Shane O' Donoghue Answered by: Shane O' Donoghue - Complete Car Advisor - @Shane_O_D


Hi Ann,

Taxing a van privately is easy. You just need to inform your local motor tax office that you are changing its use. You'll probably pay more in annual motor tax, as it goes by the engine size.

Insuring a commercial vehicle privately is not so easy, annoyingly. We advise you employ the services of a good broker to find you an insurer, as most of the large insurers will just give you the "computer says no" answer...

Give our Buying a commercial vehicle for private use feature a read too.

0 responses

Already a member?

If you are already registered, you can log in to send your question. Otherwise, please complete the following. Only your name is mandatory, but if you enter your email address, you will be notified when your question has been answered by our experts.