Ask Us Anything

I'm not happy with the car I have on PCP...

Hi guys,

I’m just into year two of my PCP; it’s the third three-year term I’ve had with the same dealer and same make and model car. They are great to deal with, great customer service etc.

But I’ve had issues with the car since I got it with the filter and have had it in the garage now three times in the past year for a re-gen: the light keeps coming on and going off but sometimes will stay on and those times has to be brought to the garage: it’s a mild-hybrid and I think there are issues with the 2023 model.

Is there any way I can swap cars in the middle of the contract give the issues I’m having? Not sure of my rights here.

Thanks a million

Dee Wall (Dublin)

Mar 2024 Filed under: finance

Expert answer

Hi Dee,

It's possible that you may have legal recourse here, though that's never an easy route to go down. I'd suggest getting in touch with the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (CCPC) to discuss the situation before you decide.

In terms of general finance rules, if you have paid more than half the PCP value of the car already, then you can by law hand it back and not have to pay anything else. You forfeit any potential equity in the car if you do that of course and if you've paid much more than half, you won't get a refund either. 

In your situation, including a good relationship with the dealer, I'd be tempted to ask for a formal meeting to discuss the problem. Indicate that you're not happy with the car and you want to change it, that you'd rather not explore legal avenues and you'd rather keep your business with the dealer (if that is true). Firmly state that you have no confidence in them fixing the car and that you want to change it. Then let them come up with a solution. If they don't, consider other options as laid out above.

Either way, please do let us know how you get on.

Shane O' Donoghue - Complete Car Advisor

Read all questions...