logo | Car Reviews, News and Features

Quick car review finder - select below

Ask Us Anything

Please ask your question in the box below. We will answer it as soon as possible.

Please note that we may edit the text of your question and that, if you provide your name and town, these will appear with your question. No other personal or contact information will be displayed or made public.

Top Categories

Can I get commercial tax?

I am thinking of buying a Ford Ranger. While I won't use it for work purposes, I keep horses and need a vehicle for towing. Can I get commercial tax on these grounds?

Filed under taxation - Asked by Gerard Kelleher (Limerick) - Mon, 15 Feb 2021 16:23

Shane O' Donoghue Answered by: Shane O' Donoghue - Complete Car Advisor - @Shane_O_D


Hi Gerard,

No, it doesn't sound to me that you can. However, you can change the status of the vehicle from commercial to private. Just call your local motor tax office to do that. You'll pay tax based on the engine size, though, which can be expensive. And, perhaps more troublesome, it's not always easy for a private individual to insure what was previously registered as a commercial vehicle. Do some ringing around before you commit to it.

Read Buying a commercial vehicle for private use for more

0 responses

Already a member?

If you are already registered, you can log in to send your question. Otherwise, please complete the following. Only your name is mandatory, but if you enter your email address, you will be notified when your question has been answered by our experts.