Ask Us Anything

How to go about taxing a van privately?

I’ve got a 2010 Citroen Dispatch 2.0-litre van and I’m just wondering how I go about getting it taxed privately for the first time and how much it would be?

David Mc Tiernan (Roscommon )

Feb 2021 Filed under: taxation

Expert answer

Hi David,

The actual process of changing the tax status on a van from commercial to private use is relatively straightforward — you simply ring up your local motor tax office (you’ll find your nearest one here: and tell them what you want to do. They’ll then shift you onto the old engine capacity-based tax system (you’ll pay €710 a year for a 2.0-litre engine) and the job’s done.

Except it isn’t, quite. You will need proof of insurance first, and insurers are — for some reason — reluctant to switch policies over. It’s worth finding a good local broker to help you get the insurance sorted out first of all. 

Read Buying a commercial vehicle for private use for more info.

Neil Briscoe - Complete Car Advisor

Read all questions...