logo | Car Reviews, News and Features

Quick car review finder - select below

Ask Us Anything

Please ask your question in the box below. We will answer it as soon as possible.

Please note that we may edit the text of your question and that, if you provide your name and town, these will appear with your question. No other personal or contact information will be displayed or made public.

Top Categories

Is a converted camper cheap to tax?

Hi there,

I'm moving back to Ireland from UK with a 2006 VW Caravelle. I'm currently converting it to a campervan. Once it is converted would it then qualify to pay low motor road tax like the VW California? This is my only vehicle.

Many thanks!

Filed under taxation - Asked by Catherine Ireton (Falmer, Brighton) - Fri, 20 Nov 2020 09:48

Neil Briscoe Answered by: Neil Briscoe - Complete Car Advisor - @neilmbriscoe


Hi Catherine,

Yes, it will do as long as you get the conversion done before you import the car. Camper vans pay the same 13.3 per cent of Irish market value in VRT as regular vans, which is helpful, but you will need to make sure that your Caravelle is signed off by a ’suitably qualified individual.’ In other words, if you’ve done the work yourself, you may need to get it inspected  and approved by an official authority (a vehicle assessor who can check that it conforms to DVLA standards, for example) and make sure you have that paperwork with you when processing the import. Assuming that it passes muster in this regard, you’ll also qualify for cheap road tax — just €102 per annum for a camper van, regardless of size.  

However,  you do say that you’re ‘moving back to Ireland’ from the UK and bringing the car with you. That could mean that  you’re exempt from paying any VRT, once you can show proof of ownership (tax and insurance) for at least six months, as well as proof of change of address. Have a look at the page here.

0 responses

Already a member?

If you are already registered, you can log in to send your question. Otherwise, please complete the following. Only your name is mandatory, but if you enter your email address, you will be notified when your question has been answered by our experts.