Quick car review finder - select below

Ask Us Anything

Please ask your question in the box below. We will answer it as soon as possible.

Please note that we may edit the text of your question and that, if you provide your name and town, these will appear with your question. No other personal or contact information will be displayed or made public.

Top Catgories

I want to import an ex-military vehicle!

Hello there,

Just read your ex-military fascination article. Very good. But I have already been bitten. I bid (lost) recently on a Pinzgauer. I can find no info on importing them. Whether there is a restriction. I would want to convert it to a camper for tax reasons. What do you think?


Barry Steen

Filed under importing - Asked by Barry Steen (Balbriggan) - Thu, 06 Aug 2020 16:48

Neil Briscoe Answered by: Neil Briscoe - Complete Car Advisor - @neilmbriscoe


Hi Barry,

No, there’s no particular restriction, once the vehicle is approved for use on the public roads, and as long as there are no weapons fitted (obviously). For the most part, military vehicles will just be imported as a commercial vehicle, and you might have some difficulty getting a valuation for Revenue to calculate VRT on. Most likely you’ll be charged the basic Category C rate of €200. 

0 responses