Quick car review finder - select below

Ask Us Anything

Please ask your question in the box below. We will answer it as soon as possible.

Please note that we may edit the text of your question and that, if you provide your name and town, these will appear with your question. No other personal or contact information will be displayed or made public.

Top Catgories

Need some advice on using a VW Transporter...

Hi there.

I set up as a sole trader last year (Oct '19). I'd like to swap my Ford Focus for a VW Transporter. A Kombi version most likely. I'm a photographer, but it would be for personal use and to transport my dogs with me. I don't deal with people directly in my business. I operate online. I really need some advice, as I want to move on with new projects. How can I tax and insure it to allow me to enjoy the next chapter?

Thanks a mil


Filed under taxation - Asked by James O'Donnell (Falcarragh) - Thu, 21 May 2020 21:37

Neil Briscoe Answered by: Neil Briscoe - Complete Car Advisor - @neilmbriscoe


Hi James,

The problem is, if you’re using the car for anything other than strictly business use, then you have to tax it as a private car, and on a 2.0-litre engine that means it’ll cost €710 per year. As for insurance, it shouldn’t be too bad, but as ever Irish insurance is an utter minefield, and the advice is — as ever — to shop around and perhaps get in touch with a good local broker before deciding. 

0 responses