Quick car review finder - select below

Ask Us Anything

Please ask your question in the box below. We will answer it as soon as possible.

Please note that we may edit the text of your question and that, if you provide your name and town, these will appear with your question. No other personal or contact information will be displayed or made public.

Top Catgories

Is an old camper treated like a classic?


I wanted to find out what limits are on camper insurance and tax if the vehicle is older than 30 years? What class of tax and insurance does it fall into and does it require NCT/VRT testing? Are there mileage restrictions on vintage insurance?

Any advice appreciated.

Filed under insurance - Asked by David Geraghty (Cork) - Wed, 29 Jan 2020 10:14

Neil Briscoe Answered by: Neil Briscoe - Complete Car Advisor - @neilmbriscoe


Hi David,

A camper van that’s more than 30 years old qualifies for vintage tax, which is just €56 a year. You will have to NCT it, but only once every two years. Once it’s older than 40 years, it’ll be NCT exempt. As for insurance, that will very much depend upon your insurer, but usually a classic car policy will have a mileage limit included. Some are as little as 5,000km per year. 

0 responses