logo | Car Reviews, News and Features

Quick car review finder - select below

Ask Us Anything

Please ask your question in the box below. We will answer it as soon as possible.

Please note that we may edit the text of your question and that, if you provide your name and town, these will appear with your question. No other personal or contact information will be displayed or made public.

Top Categories

Will my private van be given a CVT still?

Hi there,

I’ve just bought a van it’s described as a goods vehicle on my registration document. I’m taxing it for private use as I’m not farming anymore. Do I need to get goods changed to private on the registration document? And how much will DOE test cost and will it be still tested in centre for vans?

Regards Catherine

Filed under commercial vehicle - Asked by Bridie Kenny ( Galway) - Thu, 22 Aug 2019 09:48

Neil Briscoe Answered by: Neil Briscoe - Complete Car Advisor - @neilmbriscoe


Hi Bridie,

Yes, if you’re going to use a van or pick-up as a private vehicle, then you really ought to change the classification on the registration document. A trip to your local motor tax office will help in this regard. As for the test, yes, even though it’s now being used for private driving, it’ll still have to go through the Commercial Vehicle Test (CVT — the new name for the old DOE test) and that costs €94 for a van or 4x4 commercial.

0 responses

Already a member?

If you are already registered, you can log in to send your question. Otherwise, please complete the following. Only your name is mandatory, but if you enter your email address, you will be notified when your question has been answered by our experts.