logo | Car Reviews, News and Features

Quick car review finder - select below

Ask Us Anything

Please ask your question in the box below. We will answer it as soon as possible.

Please note that we may edit the text of your question and that, if you provide your name and town, these will appear with your question. No other personal or contact information will be displayed or made public.

Top Categories

Can you export the California to the US?

Do you know or offer the service to export a left-hand-drive VW California camper to the US? I have heard via the rumourmill that it may be possible to do this if it is the camper model and classified and US titled as an ‘RV’.

Thank you,


Filed under importing - Asked by Steve Barker (Yarmouth, Maine US) - Mon, 22 Jul 2019 17:37

Neil Briscoe Answered by: Neil Briscoe - Complete Car Advisor - @neilmbriscoe


Hi Steve,

I’m going to say probably not, but this is an utter minefield and you’ll probably get a dozen different answers from as many people. The problem is that Volkswagen doesn’t sell the California, or any current T6 Transporter variant, in the US, so you’d have to try and get it past the personal import regulations. If, for any reason, the car can’t pass those tests, then there’s no appeals process, at least not as I understand it. You can import it temporarily as a tourist, but it would have to be re-exported again within 12 months.

0 responses

Already a member?

If you are already registered, you can log in to send your question. Otherwise, please complete the following. Only your name is mandatory, but if you enter your email address, you will be notified when your question has been answered by our experts.