Quick car review finder - select below

Ask Us Anything

Please ask your question in the box below. We will answer it as soon as possible.

Please note that we may edit the text of your question and that, if you provide your name and town, these will appear with your question. No other personal or contact information will be displayed or made public.

Top Catgories

VRT on MPV converted to camper?


I'm thinking of buying a 15-year-old second hand MPV with a wheelchair ramp for converting to a camper. It is J1 "A" VRT vehicle category and M1 EU classification. Will there be VRT payable on the conversion or is it ok if already classified as J1"A"?

Thanks for any advice you can give


Filed under VRT - Asked by Kay Mitchels (Cork) - Sat, 29 Jun 2019 13:38

Neil Briscoe Answered by: Neil Briscoe - Complete Car Advisor - @neilmbriscoe


Hi Kay,

It will depend if you’re importing it. If not, then no VRT applies in any case, but there will be a fee payable for re-registering. At that point, there may also be motor tax implications, but theoretically, if Revenue accepts the conversion, then motorhomes only have to pay €102 a year.

That’s the good news. The bad news is that, to be classified as a motorhome, you’ll have to pass type approval, for which there are minimum standards. The Road Safety Authority has all the details you’ll need, but it might get expensive meeting all the requirements. 

0 responses