Quick car review finder - select below

4,303 Irish motoring queries answered to date.

On CompleteCar.ie there is no such thing as a silly question. No matter how small or complicated an issue seems, we'll help. Our experts will quickly answer your queries in a friendly and jargon-free manner. What are you waiting for? Ask us Anything!

Please remember that we offer advice, not gospel. We cannot be held responsible for recalls, a second hand car's history, acts of God, changes in car pricing or Government policy. We are here to help and offer independent, impartial and free advice. What you do with it is entirely up to you!

By submitting a question you are agreeing to this statement. Thank you.

Ask Us Anything

Please ask your question in the box below. We will answer it as soon as possible.

Please note that we may edit the text of your question and that, if you provide your name and town, these will appear with your question. No other personal or contact information will be displayed or made public.

Cost to change up to newer Mercedes E-Class?

I need to upgrade from 2015 Mercedes E 220 to say 2017 model. How much? 

Filed under used car values - Asked by Tom Sheridan (Galway) - Mon, 30 Dec 2019 18:58

Looking to import a Ford Transit...


I am looking to import a Ford Transit Custom crew cab six-seat with separate cargo area. I'm not sure on the VRT charges due to all the changes at the start of 2019. Can you advise me on what charges I will be liable for? I tried contacting Revenue, but unfortunately no response!

Many thanks

Filed under importing - Asked by Seamus O'Connor (Balbriggan) - Tue, 10 Dec 2019 15:17

Trying to get insured on a 2004 Golf...


I am a 21-year-old female with a provisional licence and looking to get insured on a car. I have been asking insurance companies and they have given me quotes of roughly €3,000 on a 2004 Volkswagen Golf. Am I better off buying a newer car? Will this bring down the price of insurance?

Filed under insurance - Asked by Alannah C - Wed, 11 Dec 2019 14:42

How much to tax a VW van privately?

How do I calculate the tax if I want to tax a 2.0-litre diesel Volkswagen Transporter privately?

Filed under taxation - Asked by John Fox (Freshford Kilkenny) - Sat, 14 Dec 2019 18:15

Can I tax this Defender as a commercial?


I'm just wondering about taxing a vehicle as commercial. I read your article on it but what if the vehicle (1998 Defender 110) only has three seats, no back seats and is classified as a commercial van? Can I still tax it without a VAT number etc, or will I have to pay full private vehicle tax?

Filed under taxation - Asked by Martin McMahon (Crinstown, Maynooth) - Mon, 16 Dec 2019 15:47

Are crew cab rules ok for used vehicles?

Do the new crew cab tax rates apply to second hand cars? For example, if I buy a 2008 SUV that's classified as a crew cab and taxed as such can I continue to tax it at the commercial rate? I am a limited company director and VAT-registered so the car would be for business use.

Filed under commercial vehicle - Asked by Pete Watters (Dublin) - Fri, 20 Dec 2019 09:14

Value of 2013 Mercedes E 220?

What's the cost in Ireland of a 2013 Mercedes-Benz E 220 with 73,000 miles on the clock?

Filed under used car values - Asked by Derek Legear (Limerick) - Fri, 20 Dec 2019 21:04

Can I temporarily bring my van in from UK?

Hi, I am doing some work on my own house in Ireland in 2020; how long can I keep my big van there without changing the plates as I want to bring it back to UK again?

Filed under importing - Asked by Martin Joyce (London) - Sun, 29 Dec 2019 12:22

Why different tax for these Zafiras?


I can't understand something. How come my Opel Zafira 161 is in the €570 tax band and a 141 is in the €280 tax band? The two cars are identical.

Filed under taxation - Asked by Tamas Giran (Enniscorthy) - Mon, 30 Dec 2019 14:51

I want to use a crew cab privately...

I want to use a six-seat crew cab as a private car; how much is the VRT and road tax on a 2.2-litre diesel?

Filed under commercial vehicle - Asked by Fergus Scully (Navan ) - Mon, 30 Dec 2019 14:17