logo | Car Reviews, News and Features

Quick car review finder - select below

Ask Us Anything

Please ask your question in the box below. We will answer it as soon as possible.

Please note that we may edit the text of your question and that, if you provide your name and town, these will appear with your question. No other personal or contact information will be displayed or made public.

Top Categories

How to register an old imported moped?

My friend has a Honda moped that she brought with her when she came to live here in 1990, The bike was never registered here and it has UK plates. It has never been on the road here. We would like to get it back on the road going again for her 60th. How do we register it for her? She has it 32 years.

Filed under importing - Asked by John McEleney - Thu, 19 Aug 2021 20:41

Neil Briscoe Answered by: Neil Briscoe - Complete Car Advisor - @neilmbriscoe


Hi John,

This is a bit tricky, because if you’re going by the rules, the moped should have been registered and imported properly in 1990, or declared off-the-road through the SORN process. By not originally registering there are some pretty stiff fines and penalties for not registering a vehicle and paying the VRT in time. For motorcycles, it’s 20 per cent of the original cost of VRT for the first 30 days overdue, then 40 per cent if it’s more than six-months overdue, and then five per cent of the original penalty added PER MONTH that it’s still overdue after that. That could all add up to an awful lot of money.

If you can prove that it has never been used on the road (which will be tricky) and, given that it’s such an old case, you might get let off, but Revenue tend to be very strict about these things, so I would be prepared to pay a pretty hefty bill unfortunately.

0 responses

Already a member?

If you are already registered, you can log in to send your question. Otherwise, please complete the following. Only your name is mandatory, but if you enter your email address, you will be notified when your question has been answered by our experts.