logo | Car Reviews, News and Features

Quick car review finder - select below

Ask Us Anything

Please ask your question in the box below. We will answer it as soon as possible.

Please note that we may edit the text of your question and that, if you provide your name and town, these will appear with your question. No other personal or contact information will be displayed or made public.

Top Categories

Can I register my UK car here two years later?


I moved from UK to Ireland end of 2019 and brought my car while I was still paying car finance in UK. I didn't register my car yet but would like to do that now but struggling to do it as there is much information on the internet. I understand that if I was the owner of the car, there are some exemptions from some payments. What do you think?


Filed under importing - Asked by Marcin Bubik (Mallow) - Tue, 23 Feb 2021 17:56

Neil Briscoe Answered by: Neil Briscoe - Complete Car Advisor - @neilmbriscoe


Hi Marcin,

I’m afraid you may have gotten yourself into a bit of bother here, because the Revenue rulebook states that any vehicle being brought into the state must be announced to Revenue within a week of its arrival and have gone through he VRT process within 30 days.

Failure to pay VRT on time results in a penalty. Between 30 and 60 days overdue, you’ll pay a penalty equivalent to five per cent of the car’s Irish market value. If it’s more than 60 days, but less than six months, then it’s ten per cent. If it’s more than six months, then it’s an additional five per cent of the value for every month that you’re overdue. 

Now, this is a little more complicated by the fact that, as you say, you brought the car over with you as part of a change of address, which does indeed exempt you from VRT, but given that it’s taken two years for you to get around to attending to this, I fear that Revenue may take a dim view of it, and might well apply the penalties based on what the VRT charge would have been. Either way I’d get your skates on and start working out some good excuses. 

0 responses

Already a member?

If you are already registered, you can log in to send your question. Otherwise, please complete the following. Only your name is mandatory, but if you enter your email address, you will be notified when your question has been answered by our experts.