Ask Us Anything

How about importing a van to make a camper?

What's the tax/VRT situation with buying a second hand van from the North and bringing it down south? I want to convert it to a camper and want to put Irish plates on it.


James Moreton (Ennis)

Jan 2021 Filed under: importing

Expert answer

Hi James,

Basically, the situation is as before — as long as the van is older than six months old or has more than 6,000km on the clock, then you’ll pay the usual VRT at 13.3 per cent of the OMSP (the Irish market price as defined by Revenue). As it’s from the North, you’ll also avoid the ten per cent customs duty. Once you do get the camper conversion done, the good news is that motor tax for a camper is only €102 a year.

Neil Briscoe - Complete Car Advisor

Read all questions...