logo | Car Reviews, News and Features

Quick car review finder - select below

Ask Us Anything

Please ask your question in the box below. We will answer it as soon as possible.

Please note that we may edit the text of your question and that, if you provide your name and town, these will appear with your question. No other personal or contact information will be displayed or made public.

Top Categories

Post-Brexit, moving from the UK to Ireland...


I arrived in Ireland from the UK on Jan 14 to live permanently. I bought a second hand Hyundai Santa Fe in the UK last June. So owned it now for seven months and I want to keep it. I was previously exempt from VRT/NOx tax, but has Brexit changed anything?

All my forms etc are with Revenue so am waiting to hear from them.

Filed under importing - Asked by James Mortuin (Ennis) - Mon, 25 Jan 2021 12:31

Neil Briscoe Answered by: Neil Briscoe - Complete Car Advisor - @neilmbriscoe


Hi James,

You SHOULD be able to bring your car in with you without paying VRT or VAT, as, according to Revenue: “You may be able to claim relief from Customs Duty and Value-Added Tax (VAT). This relief applies to imports of the following: bicycles and motor cycles, private cars, trailers, caravans, pleasure craft and private aeroplanes." VRT would be waived, normally, for a transfer of residence. You’ll need to have all your paperwork in order, and you can bet that Revenue will be checking carefully to make sure no-one is trying to pull a fast one, but you should be OK.

0 responses

Already a member?

If you are already registered, you can log in to send your question. Otherwise, please complete the following. Only your name is mandatory, but if you enter your email address, you will be notified when your question has been answered by our experts.