Ask Us Anything

Any extra tax costs to convert to a crew cab?

If I wanted to convert a Ford Custom commerical van to a crew cab for private use, will I have to pay on top of the conversion cost and tax off the engine?


Joe Murphy

Oct 2020 Filed under: commercial vehicle

Expert answer

Hi Joe,

No, there’s no cost in terms of switching between one tax system and another, other than the payment for the tax disc itself. You don’t need to pay backdated VRT or anything like that. Just pay for the conversion, then call your local motor tax office and ask them to switch you to private car usage, and pay the subsequent year’s motor tax.

Neil Briscoe - Complete Car Advisor

Read all questions...