logo | Car Reviews, News and Features

Quick car review finder - select below

Ask Us Anything

Please ask your question in the box below. We will answer it as soon as possible.

Please note that we may edit the text of your question and that, if you provide your name and town, these will appear with your question. No other personal or contact information will be displayed or made public.

Top Categories

Motor taxation for a disabled person?

Motor tax for disabled person?

Filed under miscellaneous - Asked by Yvonne Odonnell (Galway) - Thu, 15 Oct 2020 15:13

Neil Briscoe Answered by: Neil Briscoe - Complete Car Advisor - @neilmbriscoe


Hi Yvonne,

If you’re a disabled driver or passenger, you’re entitled to claim back, or in some cases not pay in the first place, both VRT and VAT on a new car, as well as not needing to pay VAT on the cost of any modifications needed to the vehicle to adapt it to your particular abilities.

However, right now there’s a crisis in the system. The problem is that the issuing of primary medical certificates, which are needed to confirm a person’s disability and therefore their meeting the criteria for the scheme, has been suspended following a supreme court judgement against. The Government, and the Minister for Finance have said they are working on a potential solution to the issue (which surrounds the competence of the Disabled Drivers Medical Board of Appeal to refuse the issuing of a certificate) but right now, if you’re waiting for a Primary Medical Cert, you’re sort of stuck. 

0 responses

Already a member?

If you are already registered, you can log in to send your question. Otherwise, please complete the following. Only your name is mandatory, but if you enter your email address, you will be notified when your question has been answered by our experts.