logo | Car Reviews, News and Features

Quick car review finder - select below

Ask Us Anything

Please ask your question in the box below. We will answer it as soon as possible.

Please note that we may edit the text of your question and that, if you provide your name and town, these will appear with your question. No other personal or contact information will be displayed or made public.

Top Categories

Thinking of buying an L200 for private use...


I am looking at buying a 2008 Mitsubshi L200; it's registered as a commercial vehicle with the current owner. I will buy as a private customer, so I will have to change the class of the vehicle. Do you know how I would go about this as I cannot get a quote for insurance until the class is changed and don't want to go ahead and buy if the insurance will be through the roof. Also, how much would the tax be yearly?

Thank you


Filed under taxation - Asked by Jack Kavanagh (Meath) - Fri, 02 Oct 2020 10:56

Neil Briscoe Answered by: Neil Briscoe - Complete Car Advisor - @neilmbriscoe


Hi Jack,

Motor tax for a 2008 Mitsubishi L200 is going to be chunky, because it is powered by a 2.5-litre engine and, when taxing a commercial as a private car, you have to revert to the old by-engine-capacity tax system, so it’s €1,080 a year.

As for getting it changed over, all you have to do is ring up your local motor tax office and tell them what you want to do, and they’ll guide you through the process.

As for insurance, as ever in Ireland it’s think of a number and double it, but there are some specialist van insurers out there (InsureMyVan for example) who might be able to work out a better quote. Shop around is our advice.

0 responses

Already a member?

If you are already registered, you can log in to send your question. Otherwise, please complete the following. Only your name is mandatory, but if you enter your email address, you will be notified when your question has been answered by our experts.