logo | Car Reviews, News and Features

Quick car review finder - select below

Ask Us Anything

Please ask your question in the box below. We will answer it as soon as possible.

Please note that we may edit the text of your question and that, if you provide your name and town, these will appear with your question. No other personal or contact information will be displayed or made public.

Top Categories

Can I convert a Hilux to private use?

Is it possible to convert a commercial vehicle, category N1,  to a private vehicle category M1? Example: Toyota Hilux - if this has a vehicle category of commercial listed on the logbook then you need a category C driving licence, but if this can be registered as a private car and have private listed on the logbook then it can be driven on a category B driving licence.

Filed under commercial vehicle - Asked by Roger Gammon (Galway) - Wed, 12 Aug 2020 18:41

Neil Briscoe Answered by: Neil Briscoe - Complete Car Advisor - @neilmbriscoe


Hi Roger,

Yes, in theory, you can register any commercial vehicle for private use, once you let the local motor tax office know. There can be issues with getting private insurance on some models, so check that with your insurer or broker first, and with a Hilux you’ll probably end up paying quite a chunk in tax, as it’ll switch to the by-engine-capacity system. 

0 responses

Already a member?

If you are already registered, you can log in to send your question. Otherwise, please complete the following. Only your name is mandatory, but if you enter your email address, you will be notified when your question has been answered by our experts.