Ask Us Anything

Can I tax and insure a Caddy van privately?

Hi, help needed: I bought a Caddy van for carrying the dog and bicycles. Could not get private insurance so had to get commercial instead. My problem is I cannot tax it as a commercial vehicle as I have no VAT number. Question: can I tax it as a private vehicle at €514?



Adrian Culligan (Fermoy)

Jul 2020 Filed under: commercial vehicle

Expert answer

Hi Adrian,

Yes, you can. Or at least, you certainly should be able to. Simply ring up your local motor tax office and they should be able to just transfer you to the old engine-capacity tax system. On the insurance front, have you tried getting a good broker? They can often find deals that we orindary humans cannot. 

Neil Briscoe - Complete Car Advisor

Read all questions...