Ask Us Anything

Can I apply for a motorcycle A2 permit?

I just passed my motorbike theory test. It says AM motorcycles/mopeds. Does this mean I can't apply for an A2 learner permi?

Terence O Sullivan (Cork)

Jan 2020 Filed under: miscellaneous

Expert answer

Hi Terry, 

The type of licence that you can apply for once you pass your theory test depends on your age. If you’re under 18 then you must first apply for your A1 licence and complete your Initial Basic Training (IBT) before applying for your driving test. 

If you’re 18 or older, you can apply for your A2 licence through Direct Access. As you’ve passed your theory test you can apply and start your IBT (modules 1,3 and 5) on an A2 bike. After six months, when you pass your driving test you’ll have a full A2 licence.

For the full A licence, you can apply post-theory test again through Direct Access providing you are aged 24 or over or through Progressive Access from age 20 and up. The same process applies with regard to IBT and your test.

You can find more detailed explanation on the RSA’s website here.

Dave Humphreys - Complete Car Advisor

Read all questions...