Ask Us Anything

I want to use a Mitsubishi L200 privately...

Wanting to buy a Mitsubishi L200 for private use.

1: Do I have to insure it commercially or private?

2: Can I tax it privately or does it have to be taxed commercialy (needing proof of business etc)?

Michael Jones (Co. Dublin )

Jan 2020 Filed under: commercial vehicle

Expert answer

Hi Michael,

You only need to show proof of business use if you’re taxing it purely as a commercial vehicle. If you’re taxing it for private use, then all you have to do is let the local motor tax office know, and they’ll shift you to the old by-engine-capacity tax system. As for insurance, just talk to your insurer or broker and they’ll get your sorted. 

Neil Briscoe - Complete Car Advisor

Read all questions...