logo | Car Reviews, News and Features

Quick car review finder - select below

Ask Us Anything

Please ask your question in the box below. We will answer it as soon as possible.

Please note that we may edit the text of your question and that, if you provide your name and town, these will appear with your question. No other personal or contact information will be displayed or made public.

Top Categories

Easiest way to change ownership of a car?

My boyfriend at the time said he would give me his car, but we have broken up since and I don't want the car anymore. He has sent me over the logbook and the car he is now driving still is under my name when it was previously in his name, so my question is how do I get it back under his name? I have tried looking online and can't find anything. I have the logbook; does he just need to fill in his details and send it off then?

Thank you

Filed under miscellaneous - Asked by Nikita Heffernan (Limerick) - Tue, 01 Oct 2019 14:17

Neil Briscoe Answered by: Neil Briscoe - Complete Car Advisor - @neilmbriscoe


Hi Nikita,

Sorry to hear about the break up and, can we just say you’re being exceptionally nice in giving back the car. It should be pretty straightforward, and there’s no cost involved. Every vehicle should come with a Vehicle Registration Certificate. Simply fill that in with your ex’s details and send it off the the Driver and Vehicle Computer Services Division, in Shannon.

That should take care of it.

0 responses

Already a member?

If you are already registered, you can log in to send your question. Otherwise, please complete the following. Only your name is mandatory, but if you enter your email address, you will be notified when your question has been answered by our experts.