logo | Car Reviews, News and Features

Quick car review finder - select below

Ask Us Anything

Please ask your question in the box below. We will answer it as soon as possible.

Please note that we may edit the text of your question and that, if you provide your name and town, these will appear with your question. No other personal or contact information will be displayed or made public.

Top Categories

Can I used the Disabled Passengers Scheme?

Hi there,

My Dad has recently stopped driving; he's 88 and his mobility has become an issue. Can I apply for a primary med cert and claim back VAT and VRT on a new car? I am an only child and his only means of transportation. Also, how much would the allowance be on a car worth €40,000, for example?

Thanks for your time, John

Filed under miscellaneous - Asked by John Mulrooney (Dublin) - Fri, 23 Aug 2019 11:31

Neil Briscoe Answered by: Neil Briscoe - Complete Car Advisor - @neilmbriscoe


Hi John,

Yes, you should be able to apply for a repayment of VRT and VAT on a new car, or the residual VRT on a used car, if you are the named driver of someone who qualifies under the Disabled Drivers and Disabled Passengers Scheme. I’d start by looking at the Citizens’ Information page on this, and then contacting your local motor tax office when you’re ready to. You may also qualify for free annual motor tax. As for the allowance on a €40,000 car, that will depend on the particular model as the VRT is calculated on emissions, not price. 

0 responses

Already a member?

If you are already registered, you can log in to send your question. Otherwise, please complete the following. Only your name is mandatory, but if you enter your email address, you will be notified when your question has been answered by our experts.