logo | Car Reviews, News and Features

Quick car review finder - select below

Ask Us Anything

Please ask your question in the box below. We will answer it as soon as possible.

Please note that we may edit the text of your question and that, if you provide your name and town, these will appear with your question. No other personal or contact information will be displayed or made public.

Top Categories

A work-home vehicle conundrum...


I have a question in relation to insuring an SUV on a private policy and taxing it as commercial. The details of it are: I work as a sole trader and have a company registered etc so all the paper work is covered. However, I need a car for private use and for carrying equipment for work etc. The insurance company have told me the only way to have any private use of a commercial SUV would be to insure it privately with a clause for it to have work use also. I'm trying to find out if I insure it as private will I also have to tax it as private, even though it is a commercial vehicle and primarily used for business. My only other option is to run and insure two different vehicles, only able to use my no-claims discount on one, making it extremely expensive.

Filed under commercial vehicle - Asked by Paul Cuddihy (Drogheda) - Sat, 04 May 2019 22:30

Neil Briscoe Answered by: Neil Briscoe - Complete Car Advisor - @neilmbriscoe


Hi Paul,

I think in this case, tax is the more serious issue than insurance. From what you’ve explained, you’re planning to tax your SUV as a commercial vehicle, but still use it for private and domestic tasks, and that I’m afraid is a big no-no. It’s specifically prohibited to use a vehicle taxed as a commercial for private, domestic, or pleasure purposes, and that leaves you open to a pretty hefty fine. As for insurance, you can always shop around to find a policy that suits you better, but as always it’s best to be up front and honest with them to avoid any issues down the line if you need to make a claim. Different insurers will have different policies for commercial and private vehicle insurance, and you might be better off finding a good broker who specialises in such mixed-use policies. 

0 responses

Already a member?

If you are already registered, you can log in to send your question. Otherwise, please complete the following. Only your name is mandatory, but if you enter your email address, you will be notified when your question has been answered by our experts.